PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Offshore operations - maximum flying hours
Old 17th Jun 2015, 20:54
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How could it not be insurable, when it's within the legal limits? Ten hours flight time, in 14 hours multicrew, is entirely legal, at least under FAA Part 135. It's not an everyday thing, but not uncommon on some jobs. Oil companies cut corners at every opportunity, and will almost always use the lowest number of aircraft possible. Helicopter operators don't want to hire any more pilots than absolutely necessary. I'm not sure I would want to ride in the back seat with a crew that was into its tenth hour of flight time that day, but the only other choice is quitting. I didn't like doing it, but the only other choice was quitting. Losing one's job is serious business. Obviously I should have crossed over the pond and found a cushy job in the North Sea, where I wouldn't have had to fly so much. I've also hit the 8 hour limit many times single pilot, and the 14 hour duty day was very common, going from sunup to sundown in the summer, not including preflight and postflight. It's lift the skids as the sun starts to peek above the water, and don't quit until it's gone. Every day. Things have probably changed by now, but the bottomfeeder operators still try to push things, I'm certain. And there are lots of bottomfeeder oil companies out there.