PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gustave Whitehead: First in Flight breaking news
Old 17th Jun 2015, 19:08
skyhighfallguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you guys just don't get it.

I know the history of the P51 quite well, I know all about the mating of the merlin with the north american airframe. I understand how the purchasing commision was in need of airplanes and wanted north american to build the P40 on license and that North American offered them better! I am all for the special relationship that WC spoke between the US and England.

You didn't get it when I mentioned that without the P51 you might not have England. But then we tend to only understand what we want. You might want to re-read my post.

What the Wrights did was to put everything together and FIGURE OUT HOW TO OVERCOME WARP DRAG (we would call it adverse aileron yaw now a days) thus allowing coordinated turns. No one had figured that out until the Wrights.

AS to Rockets, anyone could make a simple solid fuel (gunpowder type) rocket. A liquid fueled rocket made history just west of boston, many years ago.

And those who speculate upon my heritage, I was born and raised in the USA. My grandparents on both sides came from greece, you know that country, Dadelus was the first to fly, right?

I think you should all go and watch, "those magnificient men in their flying machines" and try to feel much better .

But the Wrights invented the airplane

Lindbergh proved what it could do

And doolittle provided us a way to fly ''blind''.

pressurization, cookies, flight attendants,jet engines, hydraulics are all the nice things.

But flying could have been done without the nice things.

Mt Rushmore of Aviation, settled.

Last edited by skyhighfallguy; 17th Jun 2015 at 19:46.