PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Step climb departure best practices
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2015, 14:07
Citation2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Journey man: when on heading , SID restrictions are not applicable anymore. This has been clarified for UK only.
Other states still expect you to maintain SID restrictions while on heading. Aviation is not only in the UK ( unless you are only qualified for domestic flights).

From IATA document "SID STAR report on potential misunderstanding ften on SIDS, there are altitude restrictions. ATC often give clearance to a higher level without specifying whether those mandatory altitudes are still applicable. Also on STARs, ATC often give direct routings bypassing certain waypoints with mandatory crossing altitudes. Some ATCs expect pilots to cross abeam the mandatory waypoint at the specified altitude without actually instructing the pilots that the mandatory altitude still applies at the abeam waypoint position"

So I would carefully check the AIPs , charts and confirm with ATC if restrictions are still applicable and not apply a UK definition to the rest of the world.

Secondly I have already had this experience where I thought that on heading speed restriction was not applicable, still it was and we were asked about our deviation.

Thirdly logically speaking , in the UK if you were taken off the route by ATC Restrictions are no longer applicable.

But if ATC expected you to fly the SID and consequently based traffic separation on the assumption that you will fly the sid and profile then under your own initiative you took a heading left or right to avoid weather , it's a different thing as ATC expected you to be on profile in the SID , by the time you select your heading you are already overshooting and busting the level before even rotating the knob to the desired heading.

Industry best practice : better be safe than sorry.