PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2015, 13:32
sandiego89

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
O-P I just read an article, can't remember where, that the SuperBug can't use the Ford class carrier if loaded with external stores. It appears that the EM C'pult is so powerful that it wrecks the pylons. That'll be a cheap fix...NOT.
Perhaps you were referring to this?:

New catapults need fix to launch jets with fuel pods

Actually reading the article indicates it will be a software adjustment. Sounds like they identifed an issue with the big tanks during testing at Lakehurst- exactly why you do testing. I am sure the EMALS will take some tweaking. All catapults are designed to launch a variety of jets at a variety of speeds and weights.

"The Navy understands the issue, views it as low technical risk, and has a funded plan in place to fix it," he said. "The resolution of this issue is straight-forward because the Navy will leverage this inherent capability of the system to tune the catapult forces for these wing tank configurations. There is no impact to ongoing shipboard installation or shipboard testing and this will not delay any CVN 78 milestones."

"No additional hardware or changes to equipment already installed will be required. Similarly, aircraft will not require modification."

I read it more as dialing things in, not as a showstopper, and hardly "superbug can't use Ford class...." panic.

Ford class is quite a big leap in some areas. Arrersting gear issue sounds more troublesome....

Kubarque- Duffelblog is always a good read.
Maybe, but not everyone knows it is a "joke"/satire site....