PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Services escalating salaries and bonuses........
Old 17th Jun 2015, 12:53
growahead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airservices was doing ok until the ALM concept. Basically, managers were put on relatively short term contracts, with bonus clauses. In the first round of this process, many dedicated, sharp operators were not willing to sell their souls to the company. In fact, the number of management positions pretty well outnumbered the applicants. The result was that sycophantic yes men/ladies got the slots. If they disagreed with senior (executive) management, they were terminated. So, we ended up with underachieving yes men/ladies, bullying etc to achieve their KPI's, and taking the bonus. Result, the company has lost the plot, yes men/ladies selling their souls, and the line controllers, seeing this, despairing, and becoming disengaged, line toers. I could name several brilliant management candidates that wouldn't sell their integrity. I could name several hopeless management stooges that have negative ability, still on the take, snouts in the trough. To give but one example of the insanity, there is now the situation of a manager who has only ever been an en route controller managing a tower, with basically no ratings, no experience of that position. Only a few short years ago, it was forbidden for controllers to cross streams, i.e, en route to transition to tower, vice versa, etc. The bulk of line controllers are dedicated, about 80% of management are there by default, hopeless in everything but self interest. The whole ALM/contract model is a flawed concept. There has been heaps written about the perils of performance bonuses, especially short term, so I won't bore the readers here.

Last edited by growahead; 17th Jun 2015 at 13:29.