PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 17th Jun 2015, 11:46
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had always thought the XAA's had a dual remit. One was to ensure the correct compliance of all aviation regulations, and to oversee the financial viability of the companies. If they believed an airline was trading in such a way as to be at great risk of failing in its obligations to transport its pax they could pull its AOC. Thus they could delve into its books and business model. This was put to use after many UK airlines went bust leaving pax stranded overseas.
I witnessed a few dubious practices, many years ago, whereby an XAA turned a blind eye to creative rostering schedules on a winter contract because it was a financial life line for a weak airline. (only later, when a unionised airline won the contract and the pilots refused the roster, did the XAA act. It was now public.)
I seem to remember an accident in USA where it became clear the FAA had a conflict of interest over the company and had been lax in oversight of it for alleged financial viability concerns. I thought the outcome, certainly the NTSB recommendation, was that the FAA financial oversight and operational/safety oversight be separated completely. I wonder if it ever happened, and if the same conflict, which was within European XAA's, was resolved by oversight separation? I doubt it, in reality. It seems now, even more, that the politicians and outside interests have a greater control over the industry's technical issues than the inside experts. Those outside interests are profit grabbers and business wallers, and guess who pulls the politicians' strings. Who has the stronger lobbyists? The pilots, engineers and other sharp end workers have been whistling in the wind for decades.
What are the true obligations, remits & oversight authority of EASA and local XAA's? Are they transparent? It would seem that each national pilot union is not concerned with the state of their industry, but only the T's & C's within their own national carrier's nest. ECA should been concerned with the overall state of the EU aviation industry. The unions, collectively, have enough financial resources to mount a concerted lobbying campaign to burn the pax & politicians ears. Why is it not happening? What motivation is missing? Where is the leadership of 'no punches pulled' 'tell it like it is' and a 'spade is a bloody spade' attitude? is it too cosy at the top?
I'm passed my sell by date, but there must be others out there who can do more than moan in the pub. A wonderful example is Captain Jonny Mercer and ex- Commando who is now an MP. Read his maiden speech in UK parliament and how he put the desk jockey generals (politicians) to shame. Why, because their deeds were far removed from their words. Sound familiar. Where is the aviation industry Jonny Mercer? A pilot, or group of pilots, who has lost their medical could do worse than follow his example. You might then get a reply when you write to your MP about these issues.
It is not so fanciful.