PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 17th Jun 2015, 11:12
Cows getting bigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst there are pilots who let their hearts rule their heads then the businesses will maximise their opportunities. I flew with a girl the other day who mentioned that she couldn't afford to feed herself. When I asked why she did it the response was "living the dream".

A company, especially a stock market listed company, exists purely to meet the demands of it's shareholders. Shareholders like risk, but not too much of it. If the CEOs can tie down real risk (for example safety issues) to an acceptable level, then from their perspective it is game on as far as efficiencies are concerned. If that means recruiting starving pilots who will do anything to realise the dream then they will continue to do it. We need to work with the commercial side of our industry rather than pulling-up a barstool and reminising about previous generations.

PS. I gave my starving co a chocolate bar and suggested she re-visited The Dream.