PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knife man freed to fly again...
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2003, 20:22
Hasselhof

If Mr Mack is the person I'm thinking of, I did a quick scenic flight with him last year in a C172. A very nice elderly person doing what I can only assume was a SAAD trip (See Australia And Die). If it is him, it only proves to me that seemingly normal people are capable of gross stupidity every now and then. I honestly don't think that chucking the old fella into jail for years or stringing him up by his entrails as some people seem to think is justified would really solve any such issues regarding "system testers".

Realistically, the only thing that will deter the average Joe Bloggs is publicity and fines. Really really big fines and community service along with an effective media campaign would not only be cheaper than locking up all of the stupid people. If people aren't aware of the risks they run by playing such a stunt, then how are they going to learn.

I think part of the issue involves the remarkably stupid security principles applied at airports. Recently my parents returned from a week holiday to Adelaide and had four or five bottles of wine in the carry on baggage. They also had a sewing kit in the bottom of one backpack. The security guards of course pounced on the sewing kit and had to unpack the wine to do so. The point of this is that effectively innocent and common items that have until recently been allowed are now strictly forbidden, though items that are much more dangerous are regularly getting through. (Sharpened wooden stakes anyone?)

It doesn’t necessarily take someone of Winstun-ian intellect to fashion a “useable” weapon out of products that are readily available airside for a couple of dollars.

Also, Winstun, I really hope you go ahead with your plans of non-state sanctioned “justice”. With attitudes like yours, you will go far. Preferably prison.