PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Kenley
Thread: RAF Kenley
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2015, 20:29
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Kenley Survives (Just)

KENLEY (or at least the airfield part) has at least survived the ravages of complete destruction.
Its part in the defence of the UK in 1940 has never really been credited and it was lucky to survive the Aug 18th raid with most of the camp facilities intact (including the ops room)
The loss of all but one of the WW1 hangars was a blow, but in fact most of the other buildings survived which helped to keep it fully operational.
I well remember my first visit there in 1960 (to join the ATC) and wondering why there were so many 'parade grounds' when in fact they were the floors of the flattened hangars.
In 1960 all the mess facilities were still in use as was the NAFFI complete with cinema and a large snooker room. A Mk 16 'High Back' Spit (RR263) stood at the end of the main entrance road, so it looked and felt like a 'time warp' of 1940.
Several buildings including the surviving Belfast hangar and the main parade ground are featured in Reach For The Sky, so its history lives on in black and white.
It appears that the Friends of Kenley are arranging for a RAF BoB flight display in August which will be great as the other proposed air shows have had to be cancelled due to a lack of vision with the powers to be (not the organisers).
It is 55 years since I first flew from this hallowed location that had been changed from a peaceful Surrey common into a front line battle ground. It held the line in 1940 and is still holding on !
I shall be revisiting my spiritual home in Sept for a 'nostalg' and hope the ATC have started gliding again by then. PP