PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2015, 14:00
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hempy,

My sincere apologies if you thought I took your post as a 'go' at me. I certainly didn't.

I was definitely a 'lesser light' all my career, and was always totally committed to delivering the best kit as soon as practicable to the people at the front line. I really do understand why people are concerned. They should be. I am too. But one thing that really gets my ulcers achin' (to quote the estimable Grampaw Pettibone) is seeing people claim credit (and receive reward) for delivering kit to squadrons that can't actually go to war, and claiming 'IOC'. Even worse, the problems are just shovelled on to the front line to sort out. I've been there, worn the T-shirt, eat the s**t. It ain't right, and I wish that the UK press would get it out there.

MSOCS - my (perhaps longer range, i.e. from an older fart) view - the RAF plan was, until not that long ago (2000), 'Typhoon plus a new UK developed stealth Tornado replacement'. They only bought into what was the RN FCBA programme once it was clear that getting the full '232 Typhoon' buy through SDR98 had swallowed so much money that a new UK financed strike aircraft was out of the question.

At that point, FCBA became FJCA and the current games commenced.

For my own part, I honestly believe that the UK's defence interests would best be served by a mixed buy of F-35As and F-35Bs, with RAF commanded As doing the land based stuff and RN commanded Bs doing the stuff at sea. Common training and support systems would help keep costs down. But hey, I'm not trying to square the budgets,

Best Regards as ever to those who are,

Engines

Last edited by Engines; 16th Jun 2015 at 15:25. Reason: Correct spelling errors