PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2015, 12:37
Courtney Mil

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Quite right, Engines. The F-35 programme has had a good deal of public air time. Some has been carefully stage managed, but there has been, probably, more publicity about this one than any previous programme I can recall. Not bad for the most challenging to date - although one could argue that each is more challenging than the last.

Originally Posted by Sandiego
The F-35A is also slated for EAA Oshkosh in July 2015- arguably the most important show in the USA.
My bold.

Oshkosh is certainly very big, but it is still, essentially, true to its roots as a recreational aviation fly-in. Yes, lots of big and heavy hardware attend, but that hardly makes it the same sort of thing as, say, Farnborough or Paris when it comes to representing industry.

My only point point about going to Europe this year was that the programme could use some really good PR right now. Whilst a visit at this point may not win new orders, it couldn't do any harm in the minds of current customers and tax payers. A no show may not been seen as a negative in the same way that last years was, but there remains the inevitable subliminal message that it's not here again.

Yes, I get the reasons and the programme priorities. Those have been well explained here. The USMC declaring IOC will not have the same effect overseas, especially in view of the perception, as Engines rightly points out, that IOC does not always mean what it says on the tin.