PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Chipmunks
Thread: RAF Chipmunks
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2015, 07:18
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Dora-9,

The first one I found on the web. It was taken at Shawbury in 1968. Judging by the barrier and the crowd in the background, it was probably the day of the de Havilland Trophy intra-UAS aerobatics and spot-landing competition. The UBAS entrant in the competition was Jock Lowe who went on to bigger and better things - he became a Concorde captain.

I have some similar prints taken at the same time, but they are buried in storage.

The second one hasn't appeared on the Internet before. That is me at my last Summer Camp at Marham in 1969. I vividly remember one incident from that camp. I was enjoying myself on a solo "L/L Navex", zipping across the Fens at 250' (or so ), when Marham called up "I42, what's your altitude?" I was thinking "Whoops, busted" but dutifully replied "250' AGL". "Roger, we've got the Reds in transit at 2000' "

I swivelled my head everywhere, but never did see them. It's hard to believe now but we actually got paid to have a lot of fun and there was absolutely no pressure to join the RAF.

Concerning your thoughts on the colour schemes, you may be right. In my three years, we had three different colour-schemes, each one becoming more flamboyant and more UBAS oriented. The first year, we had silver Chipmunks with dayglo panels, the second year, the grey/dayglo scheme had been introduced and the third year, they came back from having UHF installed, now sporting the white canopy-frames.