PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2015, 03:18
Danny42C

Warmtoast,

Re: Your quote from Geriaviator's: "had to wind up the elastic at the front before every trip".

A better solution had been found with the "Stearman". A mech had to put a crank into a hole in the left side of the nose about two feet behind the prop, then laboriously wind up an inertia starter flywheel for about 40 secs to store sufficient energy to kick-round the shaft of the 220 hp radial "Continental". If an inept stude didn't "catch" the engine with throttle first time, he'd to do it all again - and it's still hot in Florida in September !

CoodaShooda,

It is good to hear that someone is trying to resurrect a flyable one, but it won't be easy. As you say, most of the survivors will be from the Mk.IVs that came out at the end; it is hard to imagine that there will be much left of the Mks.I and II, (the only ones which we and, I believe, the RAAF) went on 'ops' with in the War. We got Mk.IIIs in India when it ended, but they only did odd jobs. I don't think you got any IIIs at all.

The only useful reference book I know is: "Vengeance!" The Vultee Vengeance Dive Bomber by Peter C. Smith, Airlife Publishing, 1986. The Brazilian River has one at £7.49 (your $15.05) at the moment.

Wiki still says that the Camden Museum one is a MkIA (US A31), but I think it's a Mk.IV (US A35), as it has that massive 0.50 "cannon" at the back, which is the hallmark of the Mk.IV (all the others have 2x 0.300/303s).

The clincher would be if your warbird mag chap could check the wing: if there's a 4° Angle of Incidence, it's a IV: if zero, not! - and the airframe no. on the fuselage is a fake (although the paperwork may be genuine, this is not EZ999 EDIT: I flew EZ993 on 24.2.43, it was the end of the VV, but we, fortunately, lived to tell the tale). Be that as it may, it looks all there and should be capable of getting into flying condition. The test pilot will have no trouble, it's just a big old pussycat.

Good luck with it ! Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 17th Jun 2015 at 22:20. Reason: Addn.