PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2015, 23:34
Danny42C

Absent Friends,

Geriaviator and Warmtoast,

Beautiful picture of the dear old "Tiggie" in full cry ! Although I got quite to like them in the end, my first experience of them was not one of my better days.

Coming from the Meteor, and not having flown them before (my ab-initio was on the much heavier "Stearman"), I came in low and fast, put it on the ground and expected gravity to hold it there. Oh, dear!.....Oh, dear, oh dear, oh dear..... I shall draw a veil over the scene which followed.

It was quite some time before I cottoned-on to the fact that you have to let it stop flying before it will settle down (not unlike a Spitfire, come to that). But I had been spoilt by things which only needed to be "wheelbarrowed" onto the tarmac and would stay down.

Will now see if I can find "The Song of the Barracuda" (perhaps Union Jack can help?) to complement the "Song of the A 25". I have long since put in the only verses (AFAIK) written about the Vultee Vengeance, but from memory:

"You always were an ugly brute
Of that there can be no dispute
From you an Angry Elephant
Would take the Palm for Elegance"

"But yet you'd aways give the Boost
To bring us safely Home to Roost"
And tho' you'd sooner flop than fly
I found it hard to say Good-Bye"

(I must confess that I have just added the last couplet myself, to round it off).

Cheers, Danny.