PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thinking of buying MacBook Pro
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2015, 19:19
Mac the Knife

Plastic PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mix - The problem from what I can gather) is that if you are running a system with TRIM Enabler and you upgrade your Mac to OS X Yosemite, your machine will not boot after the install finishes due to the new Kext signing requirement in Yosemite – all kexts (drivers) now need to be approved/signed by Apple.nforces kext

It IS possible to disable kext signing (a very good idea) in PRAM and allow 3rd party TRIM to work but this seems to me like a retrograde step. If for some reason PRAM has to be reset, the enforcement of kext signing (and this is a global setting) is reset and you have a machine that won't boot. Yosemite only recognises Apple and OWC drives for TRIM purposes.

I stuffed a 500gb Samsung 840 Pro in my recent MacMini to work as the System disk and kept the original HDD as my Data disk (as you know, I prefer to keep System and Data physical drives separate). Yes, I know that TRIM may be largely unnecessary with modern SDDs but I don't want to upgrade and end up with an unbootable machine or an SSD that gets slower and slower!

I understand that there are 3rd party apps like Cindori that claim to overcome the problem but I have to have a stable office systemthat will run various VMs as well.

I suppose I could junk it and just buy a whole new MacMini to the specs I want from the local Mac shop but that would squeeze my budget a bit - particularly as the MM is only a couple of years old. I could always find a use for the old one.

Currently everything works fine with Mavericks and 16gb RAM.

Your advice would be welcome.

Thx

Mac

Last edited by Mac the Knife; 15th Jun 2015 at 19:30.