PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK : exit interviews ?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2015, 18:41
BANANASBANANAS

Received 121 Likes on 61 Posts
TS, There is a big difference between flying a TP airliner and operating a wide body jet airliner. The flying is the (relatively) easy part. You laud the TP pilot's hand flying skills (rightly so I am sure) but that is but a very small part of what it takes to successfully and safely operate a wide body aircraft around the planet. It also indicates your own lack of appreciation of the demands of the position you aspire to in that you assess your suitability for it primarily by reference to your hand flying skills. They are important but there is much, much more required than that.

Wide body routes span the globe. The average TP's route is very regional. That does not make TP pilots bad pilots. It does though, mean that they are invariably very, very light on global route experience and a lot more training time is therefore required to become a productive pilot at EK. However, you will not be given any more time than an experienced wide bodied jet pilot joining the company and that means that experience levels on the flight deck become unacceptable to the insurers, provide a reduced safety margin and would be a source of concern to Captains. Nothing personal but if you and a similarly inexperienced (on wide body) pilot were part of a 3 man crew and were alone on the flight deck while I was taking my legally required rest in the CRC, I would not sleep easily.

Last edited by BANANASBANANAS; 15th Jun 2015 at 19:16.