PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Coverage at Ballina
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2015, 14:52
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Re " In the days of Department of Transport if a jet service went to any destination it would automatically require a tower "

And...."Lookleft
You are correct"

Hey Dick (you agreed with him) and 'LL'......naughty naughty..... B/S personified!!!

I worked for many years at locations like Kalgoorlie, and Derby - "Derbs" - which 'looked after 'Broome' as well as 'Derbs', as you are very well aware - you actually visited us once.
You did not have to ask for a 'clearance' to 'Derbs' - you got 'AFIZ' service.

And each of those had JET RPT services.....as did Geraldton, Carnarvon, Learmonth, Karratha, Hedland, Kunners, etc etc

And, NONE of those had a 'tower'!
Some did, then didn't, then when Hedland Council funded it, did, then didn't again when it was found to be too expensive, then.....who knows....!!

We used to manage those from the FSU at the location. Or, in the case of Broome, it used to be managed from 'Derbs' long after the Broome FSU was closed. (Remote AFIZ)....

Then after the 'Big Cut' we managed these 'remote' AFIZs from Perth FSC...

Tower..??WOT Tower..?? Yeah, I am aware that some of these places have a 'Tower' again.....as to WHO is paying for it / them...?? Well, with NO 'Flight Service' or CAGRO, 'somebody' thought that they just 'had' to have 'something'....

In the 70's when I flew 'full time' out of Hedland, there were aeroplanes everywhere in the Pilbara.
Sometimes I was 'no 3 to land'......
Not so many now!

Keep it cleen now.....

No Cheers

Thanx again for......

Last edited by Ex FSO GRIFFO; 15th Jun 2015 at 15:03.