PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2015, 14:22
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longer,

Perhaps I can help here. I have posted before on this.

The F-35B was required to be able to carry out a ski-jump, as set out in the JORD. However, this was a UK only requirement. Ski-jump was regarded as a low risk evolution, as most of the mode and flight control issues associated with the launch are similar to (but not the same as) those that have been wrung out for flat deck STOs. In fact, flat deck STOs are the more demanding of the two ship launch modes. So why, you're entitled to ask, haven't they done ski jumps yet?

My guess (and that's all it is) is that it's a result of the UK's decision in 2010 to abandon the F-35B and go for the C. I do know that ski jump trials were originally planned for around 2012, but as soon as the UK opted out of the B, this very probably removed the requirement for the ski-jump. LM and the DoD would have been very quick (understandably so) to remove any extraneous flight test requirements, so ski-jump tests were canned. However, the Pax River ski jump was built by mid 2012 - I would again guess that having committed the money, they went ahead and finished it just in case another export customer wanted the capability. (I could well be wrong here - just a guess, guys).

So, in 2012, the UK comes back and wants the F-35B UK requirements reinstated. Again, I'm not entirely surprised that amongst all the other test points requiring attention for the F-35B, ski jump launches were not way up the priority list on a crowded test plan. Perhaps that fact that the UK doesn't plan to embark the aircraft for some years yet has also influenced flight test planning.

There were a slew of reports in late February this year that ski jumps were on the agenda for the 'next round' of testing, so it should not be too far off. To repeat, gear loads are not an issue - the max rate VL poses by far the greatest strain on the legs and structure. Again, to reiterate - the F-35B gear is fundamentally different to (and much better for ski jumps) than the Harrier's 'bicycle' layout.

I agree with Sandie, I think ski-jumps should be a non-issue for the jet - but I also stress that thorough tests are required on land before the jet does it for real off a pitching and heaving deck.

Hope this helps

Best regards as ever to those working the ramp takeoffs - it will be the most operationally efficient and safest way to launch the jet at sea.

Engines

Last edited by Engines; 15th Jun 2015 at 14:32. Reason: Text clarification