PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-AFZ Accident Warnervale NSW
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2015, 03:00
Sir Instructalot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From someone who was involved in the investigation from the outset, I can tell you fuel wasn't a problem. It was 1.7 hrs oil clock flight time back from Dubbo to the eventual landing in the paddock. A good Westerly on the day.
As far as all the slander over mixture usage and how all of we instructors are inept individuals with no idea - all i can say is that the Central Coast Aero Club teach correct technique, consistent with good practice. This does not mean going full rich prior to descent from 7,500'.
The pilot on the day admitted the descent was left a little late, and a very low power setting was used. The pilot was private hiring the aircraft and wasn't trained at Warnervale.
The conclusion as to what went awry may be drawn from that statement.
I personally have video evidence of the engine being started and run on recovery back to the airport - so no mechanical issue.
Whatever the cause, the pilots on board executed a well controlled landing into what can only be described as swampland. The aircraft overturned at low speed at the end of the landing roll after the nosewheel dug in and collapsed.
Both pilots completely unharmed and a good result considering.