PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 14th Jun 2015, 19:53
too_much

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked into this for you Eurcan...

No specific requirements on BMI, only requirement is Class 1 medical.

EK have their own in house clinc, where as FZ don't...

So to answer your question, yes you can join FZ with a high BMI provided you can pass the GCAA medical... Hope that helps.

You can find more information on GCAA website under CAR OPS

This extract is from the GCAA CAAP 19 Aeromedical
Aeromedical Disposition
i. For the GCAA medical certification purpose the definition of obesity include:

A body mass index above 30 ,or
 A waist circumference over 102 cm, female 88cm,or
 A waist to hip ration of 0.9 male and 0.85 female, or
 Body fat content above 25% male and 33% female.
ii. Obese applicant with incapacitation risk of >1%, must be grounded and enter a weight management program which should include dietary advice, an increased exercise regime and regular 3 monthly AME follow and should require an additional battery of tests to exclude the nutritional and metabolic disorders before issuing the medical certificate. The minimum tests required would be Lipid profile (total cholesterol, LDL, triglyceride level and HDL), Fasting Blood Sugar and calculation the overall risk of cardiovascular disease. A target weight reduction of at least 10 % their original weight over one year and all risk factors must be monitored and controlled.
iii. Obese applicants who are otherwise well and can exercise the privileges of a license safely will be certificated without restriction.
iv. Obese Individual with OSA should be managed as per the protocol of OSA.
v. If the a class I candidate with BMI of 35 or more fails to lose weight over 6 months period, or even gain more weight, the GCAA may recommend a simulator assessments with particular attention to his competency in managing emergency situations and evacuation. Multi-pilot (Class I ‘OML’) or
safety pilot (Class II ‘OSL’) limitation may be required.
vi. If the high BMI does not reflect obesity (e.g. muscular built), then other measurement to be used
as guidelines with the BMI for more accurate assessment, such as body fat percentage.
vii. Failure to comply with any or all of these points may lead to permanent unfitness.