PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2015, 17:35
harrym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternative fuels

Danny, given its stick shift gears your R/Enfield must have been fairly ancient; I think the pedal-operated box became general in the mid to late 1930s, certainly my specimen had the foot change common to most bikes produced from then on.

The reasons for using petrol for the 50 mile return ride to my RAFVR sessions were (a) petrol coupons were obtainable for such a purpose, and (b) it worked out cheaper than methanol – plus the fact that my range on methanol was somewhat limited, given an approx 40 mpg and the limited capacity of the can containing it.

As for Ronsonol, when ‘basic’ was reintroduced just after VE day I eked out the last few days of my embarkation leave using the stuff to keep my ancient Francis Barnett on the road; our local tobacconist (remember them?) had a good stock, and the old 2-stroke was quite happy to slurp it. The bottles it came in were not very big, but half a dozen (at around a bob or two a go) went quite a long way though I'm sure you certainly needed larger ones (and more of them ) for that old Bentley!

Glad to be back, but then I have not really been away; I keep a close eye on this thread, and will always contribute if I think there is anything interesting to say.

All the best, to all......

harrym