PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B747 Taxi & Turning Operations
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2015, 15:14
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info,

That noise that was heard while holding in position went away on its own after about a couple of minutes(held for about three minutes for traffic). It seemed to be quieter and coming from the back instead of through the tiller. No takeoff warning although I would think that rolling forward a bit would straighten out anything if it was not already straight.

Just to clarify, the noise I initially mentioned could very well be from the tire scrubbing(I was thinking that it was a hydraulic system noise). The sound only happens on occasion from a relatively sharp turn and reducing tiller input just slightly makes it go away. It does seem to be speed related(around 10 knots) as it does not happen in a slow sharp turn. Most people seem to do the turn at 10 knots although depending on the intersection, a tight turn is usually not required. That being said, I don't remember ever seeing any angled scrub marks on the nosewheel on the walkaround.

Castering nosegear in a 747? Have had the entertainment of taxiing with something like that in a light single only. It could be interesting on a bigger aircraft.

Last edited by JammedStab; 14th Jun 2015 at 15:27.