PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problem checklists
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2015, 14:30
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Pull what - you may rest assured that I did address those things, conduct a fairly lengthy brief, and had my own checklist. I just wasn't to be honest prepared for the level of "checklist crutch" mentality I met on the specific occasion: combined with such a poor commercial checklist, or would have covered the specific issues more thoroughly in the brief. Feel free to disagree with this, but I generally hope when checking out a qualified pilot on an aeroplane, particularly if they've flown the type before (this chap had for part of his PPL training), that they'll come having read the POH and ensured that they have a workable checklist for the type. My task is to help them operate it safely to an acceptable system, not necessarily impose my personal preferences - there are other "good" ways to do things than mine.

Also, given that somebody is a qualified pilot, I shouldn't have to brief every aspect of how to fly an aeroplane - we'd be there all day and never get airborne on checkouts. But, the thread's about checklists, if that's alright with you.

And for what it's worth, I subsequently talked to the two schools and two syndicates on the airfield who use the same aircraft type, and offered (and they agreed) to create an airfield standard simple-and-useable checklist that we can all buy into. I've since emailed a draft to them all and am just starting to get feedback, as well as planning to test it myself this week.

Yes, and I posted on a forum about it

G

Last edited by Genghis the Engineer; 14th Jun 2015 at 15:34.