PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IATA Wants to Shrink Carry-On Bag Size
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2015, 09:37
ExXB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr @ Spotty M
Maybe the FAA & EASA should be looking at banning the carrying of bags, until passengers can be trusted not to carry them when carrying out an emergency evacuation, as seems to be the norm now.
Yes we have seen that recently, but the interesting thing is that there have been few, if any, reports on how this selfish activity has impacted on the evacuation.

It is a bit of a dilemma, you shouldn't put your valuables in checked bags (the airline assumes no liability if you do), you can't put your medications there either for obvious reasons and you must keep your identity documents etc. with you.

But in an emergency you are asked to abandon all of the above to destruction, loss or long delay in retrieval. I can fully understand why some are tempted to keep their stuff with them. If you look at OZ crash at SFO some pax took their bags with them, some did not. I doubt those that did not ever saw their property again, or if they did not for many days afterwards. In hindsight who was the idiot?

And what is the 'rule' anyway? Are passengers permitted anything besides themselves and the clothes they wear? What about a small handbag? (I have one smaller than most ladies bags, that I keep my insulin kit and documents in); what about a bumbag; a small backpack, a ...?

I agree with you that the safety experts need to give their serious attention to this issue and to determine if existing rules are appropriate and what enhancements or amendments are appropriate. Human nature, instinct, is to keep our stuff with us (and I'm keeping my small bag with me).

So, perhaps reducing cabin bag size is a very good thing.