PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 14th Jun 2015, 09:37
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AA62 #3213,

Yes indeed, I started my life in the RAF at Colerne in 1971 after training as an Airframe apprentice at Halton. I was posted to White team, AES and spent my first year or so as part of a Base 3 (Major) Team. On its formation I was one of the first members of what the Station called Corrosion Control Team (CCT) know to us pond life as "tank rats". We worked a 4 day on 4 off 12 hour shift, doing nothing but polishing out the corrosion that was seemingly built in to the fuel tanks. I well remember on one occasion we removed the titanium heat shield, a protective sheet fitted to the wing, behind No3 Engine, and when we started to blend out a large patch of corrosion, the 30,000 rpm air grinder disappeared through the wing and in to the dry bay above. The over wing refuelling points were particularly useful as, when inside the tanks, it could become very warm and claustrophobic. We had a device called a Lamb Air Extractor, which was placed on the over wing refuelling point, attached to the 100 psi hangar air supply it created a suction within the tank, which then created an airflow, allowing some comfort. I was posted to Akrotiri in 73 so missed the replacement of the mainplanes, returning to HMs finest transport aircraft in 87 at Lyneham.

As an aside the ubiquitous NFF or UTRF was pretty much a non event for AGEs, any fault that could threaten the progress of a route was easily confirmed by inviting the GE to the flight deck, to witness the snag. It was also useful as the GE could power, consult technical manuals and land with a plan of action, or an Eng Rep requesting spares.

Smudge