PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Squadron Silver
Thread: Squadron Silver
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2015, 08:48
MPN11

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Ah, the Silver Store! As Mess Sec at Watton in the early 70s, the PMC (Hi, Jock, if you're reading this) and I did a seriously deep look at whet we were holding, as the Insurance costs for a very small Mess [just Eastern Radar, maybe 35 officers?] were significant.

Oh, the stuff we found! It included, for some strange reason, 2 large pewter plates of considerable vintage [17th c IIRC]. Anyway, various correspondence ensued. There was some interesting stuff, battered stuff, and assorted cr@p - much of it associated with long-defunct sqns. After appropriate staffing, some went to Quedgely, a coupe of items to the RAF Museum, and we were authorised to auction much of the rest to Mess members for the benefit of Mess funds.

Apart from the ancient pewter plates, a couple of items stick in my memory:
* A solid silver tankard marking the 100th enemy aircraft shot down by 100 Gp aircraft, engraved with the names of all the crew on that particular mission ... that went to the RAF Museum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._100_Group_RAF

* A collection of 9 or so 1/2 pint silver tankards, all presented to a Hunter sqn by departing members ... we kept those behind the Bar, to be used by ladies who drank beer [in small quantities ]
Sadly I got nothing from the auction, but the PMC got a 2 pint [!] tankard which had been presented to 245 Sqn by Sgt D J Rhodes. He sent me a picture of it last year