PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS and the Willoughby Report
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2003, 12:34
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must be dumb, cause I just don't get it?

I currently work as a controller in airspace near Sydney, Class A, Class C, Class E and Class G. I’ve seen the proposed map changes for November.

Can anyone tell me how safety will be 'enhanced' for a cost reduction in this airspace.

Changing Class C into E (mostly) does not save one ATC body; in fact during the day we are more likely to have another console open, as there is less 'control' of airspace and predictability of workload; we'll never know what's coming.

How does Virgin, REX and QANTAS feel about flying in 'E' airspace below FL180 before 45NM Sydney? Where is the cost benefit and enhanced safety for them; what once was positive control will now be traffic information on radar observed paints, if I see them, or can see them (transponder off/broken etc.)

If it's simply about providing freedom for VFRs without cost, why don't we have a charge free environment for VFRs? Do we have that now in enroute? I would never unnecessarily delay VFRs a clearance in my current Class C; we just don't have any demand, I have radar, worst case would be a five mile delay once I have your details; will this change by changing the airspace type, probably not, so why bother. It aint broke...

Class E is enhanced risk over C; it has to be.

Sure give me the tools, VFR separation, changes to visual rules etc, that makes me more efficient, gives climb descent earlier above FL125 does nothing below that; I ALREADY HAVE THOSE TOOLS. (VFR on TOP, IFR pickup, VMC climb/descent, its all a crock, just say Visual Separation below FL200; done.)

Anyone saying that this will stop VFRs broadcasting therefore will save ATC sectors just doesn't understand how we do business. Sure sometimes VFRs do annoy all of us when they start talking, that's why we staff as such to split off the OCTA airspace; some sectors can't do this agreed, however there is no bodies to save out there either, you'll still need the same ATC controlling the increased amount of 'E'.

Savings from NAS, what an absolute crock. How much money has been spent so far? Will that ever be recovered?

Rolling out E steps around D towers, what a joke; instrument let downs that will force IFRs (usually) in IMC doing a let down flying in E instead of D or C airspace and this is labelled as an improvement, for whom, improvements for those that don't pay of those that do?

Bottle of Rum