PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 13th Jun 2015, 18:37
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Null,

"As the senior SVC for the trip (prior to the invention of the Ground Engineer)", a good post, but I'm sure that even you must realise that the Aircraft Ground Engineer was never invented, but a creation of logic and sensible thought. Now, I'm not trying to blow the GE trumpet (just for a change) so I will recount a trip I did, with an SVC, who "saved the day".

A Belize trip, diverted to return via Bermuda developed some pressurisation anomalies, and all the usual suspects proved to be sound. My SVC on the trip was an avionics SAC who had seen a similar problem back at LyneHenge, and offered his opinion. I struggle to remember it's name but just forward of the rear escape hatch was an antenna that had a pressure seal which was leaking (anyone know the antenna?). He suggested we send for a new seal and replace it, I had a can of half hour PRC, which I used to paint the inside of the whole of the antenna fit. It did the job on ground test, and the subsequent 12 hour leg back home. The SVC pointed the way, I reacted to the problem by ignoring the spares/delay route and getting Albert home. It may have been a different story had my SVC not been a Fairy, I could easily have missed the potential for that antenna to create a pressurisation problem.

Smudge