PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radar Coverage at Ballina
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2015, 12:29
NOtimTAMs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a regular user of Ballina airport in all weather conditions, I absolutely agree with Norm's letter. Mostly empty airwaves....rare arrivals of 3 or more IFR aircraft in IMC .....

Here's the schedule for RPT into Ballina: http://ballinabyronairport.com.au/wp...h-June2015.pdf.

Reckon you need a full-time CAGRO or tower for that, Dick? Nonsense!

Self separation has worked fine here and at other CTAF airfields that have RPT - and if a bit of coordination with the other pilots does your head in when you fly your personal jet in with a highly experienced aviator as co-pilot, then I suggest you hold at a suitable altitude above it all until everyone else has landed, or divert to land at the Gold Coast and drive the hour down for everyone else's safety.

Bloggs - I would be very surprised if you were getting clearances when below 10K' on approach to YBNA. Onward clearances can wait until after you land.... In any case, if a single pilot IFR can monitor two frequencies, then a two crew unit with TCAS should be fine.

All Dick's sh!t stirring is going to do is drive up costs to all who use the Ballina airport to no safety advantage. As Dick often asks - where's the safety case? The local Aeroclub guys, who have spent a large amount of private money on their clubhouse on the field are a bit upset at the prospect of a tower - most of the long term members now fly RecAus and won't be able to get into the controlled airspace if it goes that way...

CAGRO or tower, whichever way it goes - you'll get thanks for nothing, Dick, from the GA community who use Ballina airport....the very GA pilots whom you profess to be supporting....

Last edited by NOtimTAMs; 13th Jun 2015 at 12:33. Reason: Grammar, spelling