PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit Procedures
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2015, 08:20
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
I do resent the blind stupid way some pilots attempt OH joins when they do not have 2500 feet to cloud base but attempt the OH with maybe 1500 feet just below the cloud base and that happens a lot
The OH join has a place when conditions are right but in the UK that is seldom and the word STANDARD should be removed to be replaced with better joining methods

That is the problem I have with it that it is abused by pilots and FIS or ATC or adjusted to unsafe separations at airfields where airspace restricts a possible OH join! Why ? Because we are fixated with a method of joining which is outdated and will try to accommodate it into less than ideal situations!
In the past that resulted in a near collision with an aircraft attempting an OH join cutting across the downwind leg

Pace
The airfield where I work is part surrounded by class D airspace which also gives us a 'lid' of 1,500 ft amsl, so you can't extend too far upwind without 'busting' (and setting off a CAIT so the zone controller has to take reporting action) and likewise you cannot join overhead at 2,000ft for the same reason.
What sometimes happens therefore is the joiner joins downwind either inside or outside established circuit traffic, gets too close to it on final and has to go-around, there being no 'land afters' allowed at a FISO airfield.