PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 12th Jun 2015, 13:59
Null Orifice

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
NFF (No Fault Found)

AHHH! The mention of 'No Fault Found' activated a distant memory from my time on 48 at Changi.
Debriefing after a trip, a Fright Gingerbeer (first name began with a J) came into the flight servicing office and solemnly recorded a (slightly) high start temp in the F700 (as he was duty bound to do so) on the No 3 engine: on leaving, he mockingly uttered words similar to "I suppose you'll clear that with the usual No Fault Found".

After investigating the reported fault, including the customary waste of fuel known as a check start, the honest (but somewhat tongue-in-cheek) clearance entry in the hallowed tome was duly inscribed as 'Unable to reproduce fault".

High start temps were a commonly experienced feature of the first (No 3) engine start-up, especially in the conditions prevailing in Singers, and was probably the most commonly-reported engine snag at the time, especially when the wind was from the chuff direction.
Those with some knowledge of the K's noisy bits will understand from whence my username originates, being not unrelated to the high start temp scenario; for others, it does not relate to any other orifice, personal or otherwise