PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basic and Traffic Service
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2015, 13:16
PA28181

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately the see and be seen environment has a lot of limitations - fundamentally on the performance of the Mark I eyeball, so having something that alerts you to most traffic is almost surely a net improvement
I was lucky to attend a conference held at Upper Heyford many years ago (was allowed to fly in) it was a basic PR excercise for the USAF to try to pacify the locals due to the racket from F111's and the opening of garage doors when the ECM Ardvaarks forgot to switch off.

The most valuable lecture was from the USAF Flight Surgeon who explained how the MK1 eyeball functions when staring out against a featureless sky/ground combination. The eye tends to fix a distance not that far ahead unless the head is made to move and the eyes constantly made to focus in the distance, this can be tiring on a long flight so any help particularly from a "TS" which is the only service I ever ask for (and probably get 50% of the time), coupled with an auto-pilot does allow excellent "See & Avoid" along with traffic the MK1 cannot see due to WX or into sun etc.