PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Happy 75th Anniversary to all RAF Fighter Controllers and ABMs
Old 12th Jun 2015, 05:26
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,594 Likes on 731 Posts
I was at Neatishead for my first tour in 75/76 and was later an FA at Buchan using the TPS-34. I remember looking in incredulity at the 64K ferrite core, and at how the system slowed when the track load got much above 70 and the track labels would visibly strobe as the update rate slowed. Oldest equipment I used was the T64 consoles at Bawdsey and later at Staxton Wold.

Can't remember the system name at Boulmer, but do remember the DPAVC* saga when it was found to be dropping plots due to buffer overflow - and the fight to change square aircraft responses to round.

Who needs a tracked display when you have a plotting table!! Just brief the Cpl to make sure every red plaque has a blue plaque with it regardless of the real world to keep the MC off your back. (And totally disbelieve the Saxa RAPDS plots positions when the QRA was bored holding waiting for Bear-Fs which were never going to penetrate and was "investigating" civil tracks)

* Digital plot to analogue video converter

ps. T64 on my tour at 280SU at Olympus as well of course, and on det at Magdalena in Malta. Ah, the days of Mullard sims...