PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone help me with this BAK question?
Old 12th Jun 2015, 02:26
katsunlo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone help me with this BAK question?

Hi all, I am now doing a home study on the Bob Tait BAK and I encountered a question that I can't figure out by myself.

(quotation from Bob Tait Textbook) "Rate of climb in a wind blowing from right to left condition: Assuming both aircraft climb at the same IAS, Power and Weight, the rate of climb for the aircraft flying headwind (aircraft A) is the same as the aircraft flying tail wind (aircraft B)." (quotation from Bob Tait Textbook)

Baby Tait says both aircraft have the same rate of climb but I don't understand why. My understanding is aircraft A should have a higher rate of climb as it is flying headwind, the wind should have helped aircraft A to climb faster because of the extra lift provided by the headwind.

Question One: Why both aircraft will have the same rate of climb?
Question Two: How can the aircrafts have the same IAS and Power given that one is flying headwind and one is flying tail wind? In my understanding, the one flying headwind should have higher IAS under the same power setting.

I am a bit confused now and would be very appreciated if anyone can help me with this question. This question is staying in my mind for more than 3 months....

p.s. I understand why the angle of climb is steeper for aircraft A.