PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Step climb departure best practices
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 23:52
Journey Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinion presented as fact

Copy and pasting an excerpt of text does not indicate understanding. I was seeking industry best practice (i.e. Company SOP) or regulation. De facto, what you have repeatedly attempted is to present your opinion as regulation without a single relevant reference to give credence to your statements.

The only reference you have provided is a link to the usage of the UK usage of the phraseology 'climb now', which has at no point been queried in this thread and is irrelevant to the subject under discussion.

You've presented an en route SARP as applicable regulation to the departure phase. Explain the difference between 'must' and 'should'. I can't speak for your virtual airline's performance calculations, but my take-off performance analysis is predicated on a specific climb speed in the CLB thrust detent until the acceleration altitude.

Originally Posted by de facto
It was clearly answered by Citation 2.
Citation2 has provided no such definitive clarification, nor regulatory reference. Indeed, in their post they state:
Originally Posted by citation2
You might be on heading to avoid weather in a busy environment , where you exercised your emergency authority to avoid weather due to a busy frequency , but still ATC expect you to maintain an initial altitude.
If you are taking avoiding action and deviating from the SID, you are no longer following the SID profile and the SID step climb profile is not applicable. To state that the the SID vertical profile is still applicable when deviating from the SID lateral track is neither a comprehensive, nor correct, answer despite your claim. It is nonsensical and potentially unsafe. You claim step altitudes are purely defined by DMEs, when they are defined by a fix that has a lateral element (i.e. a radial). A DME distance purely prescribes a circle around the DME, which coupled with your friend Citation2's suggestion of going off on a heading, may never be intersected. In what way do you feel Citation2 'clearly answered' the initial query for industry best practice or regulation?

De facto, as a flight simmer, you do not have an approved Ops Manual. Unless providing regulatory references you are not qualified to answer the initial query of industry best practice. No need to apologise for this. Some of my colleagues have responded stating what their Ops Manuals mandates, thus providing an indication of the industry's current practices. Clarifying regulation has not been presented. Therefore, as a flight simmer, your input is reduced to mere opinion, which you've repeatedly brandish as incontrovertible. This you should apologise for.

If my tone is acerbic, contemplate the snide and patronising comments littering your posts:

You are from the uk...where were you trained??
[ATC] dont fly your aircraft...
etc…

In the last fifteen years I've held four licences, on various continents, and in my opening posts I freely admit that I am unsure of the applicable regulation in this instance. The whole raison d'être of my post was to seek clarification. I have absolutely no issue with admitting that. During attaining each of those licences I've sat exams for Air Law and, unfortunately, there has been some muddying of the waters and information lost to the fog of time. PPRuNe should be a valuable industry resource for professional pilots to discuss such matters, providing reference to regulatory documentation. Unfortunatley, the forums are frequented predominantly by arm chair experts who constantly present opinion as fact. You perfectly illustrate why certain sub-forums should be restricted to those who present a verifiable commercial licence.

Once again, thank you to my peers who've presented valuable input.