PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian airliner skids off runway
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 22:05
UAV689

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garuda regularly take on cadets, fresh out of school with only a single engine cpl, no if, to fly a 737.

I have witnessed an IR renewal, with a dgca inspector by flying one visual approach, the guy was at the controls from 1500ft (took over from another pilot) to touch down and ir renewed.

I have seen a "cpl" holder, not know how to put on an aircraft harness, not know what a power lever is, the cpl was brought by his brother.

Thank god this over run was not at Bandung when I flew there last, a school fair ground was happening less than 20 meters from the edge of the runway! Not even a barrier!

Have a look at the safety record of the guys that fly from sentani to wamena, probably once every few months a freighter written off.

The dgca, and country is completely incapable of flying safely.

Ps - to be fair to the crew, perhaps atc told them viz met the minima, I had a flight into Jakarta where the 5min old atis gave the viz to low to shoot approach,on initial contact their first comment to us was viz was the exact minima to shoot approach, as they knew we would hold otherwise...! But they totally neglected to tell us both the dme and gs where in op..