PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another runway at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 19:15
felixflyer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Do you wish to engage in serious discussion or do you prefer this slapstick pantomime nonsense? I have outlined the public-private funding split in detail in previous answers to you. Cut out the schoolyard slurs
No schoolyard slurs from me, just highlighting that your previous wording

Do you honestly suggest that upto £40Bn should be spent at LHR to spare a small minority of passengers an occasional one-hour transfer aboard a luxury coach? Have you stopped to consider just how much money forty thousand million pounds actually is and how it could be otherwise used for the benefit of the UK?
was purposely making the cost to the taxpayer seem higher than it is.

Now you are talking about the £8-20bn from the taxpayer so we are getting somewhere. I still think the figure will be nearer the bottom end and cannot possibly be near £20bn unless TfL are taking the opportunity to lump in other needed projects too. We do however as taxpayers need to know there will be value for money and a benefit to the whole of the UK.

There is obviously a need to narrow down that figure and find out what is being spent where. Research suggests that the benefits to the UK from LHR expansion would more than pay for the cost paid by the taxpayer. If this is true then the case is strong. The problem is getting someone to do detailed projections without the whole scheme being used as a political football.

Your obviously a Manchester airport enthusiast so you will never want any expansion in the south that would threaten MAN but the very fact it would threaten it, and that the likes of LBA are all for it pretty much shows that the reasoning behind it is valid and that it could be a success. I have no affinity to any airport and nor do I have any bias against northern or southern spending as long as there is a sound business case.

You may not be, but the Davies Commission is because the leisure sector is likely to be the largest source of growth for air travel demand in the SE. And how exactly do we debate LHR expansion if mention of alternative solutions is verboten? Of course, maybe that is a debate which you don't want to acknowledge
It is not 'verboten just irrelevant. The charter stuff is not what LHR is looking for. This idea that the SE just needs a new runway built somewhere is not a response to the business case BAA have for expanding LHR into a hub.

Putting more med flights on from Gatwick, Lydd or Luton is for another thread. The only way it is tied to LHR expansion is that the need may be less should the new runway go ahead.

I think I have made my point clear now feel I have repeated myself too much so will sit back and read others comments now.