PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 18:46
AC560

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a great thread to have stumbled upon, spent the better part of this week reading it and wanted to share two of my Concorde stories.

I was up at KOSH when Concorde visited in 1994 and while you can still go on the flight line today, back then you could really get close. I remember walking across the camping area right along the northwest end of 18/36 as she came back from a tour, she was so close you could almost touch her. Coming in it was eerily silent but as she slipped past the noise was deafening and she touched right on the numbers. About two seconds later her wash settled and every tent and loose object in a 100 yard area blew all over the place. It is hard to describe in words but the picture is so visual in my mind today.

The best though was later that day I was departing in the great AC560 on 27 at the same time Concorde went out for another tour on 18. We turned crosswind to the south just as she started her roll. Maximum continuous on the GO-480's as we raced her down the length of 18 where obviously she passed us about half way and vaulted into the sky. Shortly after rotation we were both at about the same altitude and we had almost cleared the end of 18 (Concorde was maybe 1-2 miles in front of us) and she did a magnificent I am guessing 30-45 degree bank to 270 and cut across our windshield in full splendor afterburners and all.

To this day I love telling about the time I flew the pattern with Concorde once. How many can say that (an I am guessing there is only two Concorde pilots who can attest to flying the pattern with an AC560 ever!).

Thanks to all those who made this and many other Concorde memories BA/AF both for me!