PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 18:01
Danny42C

Snake-Oil, anyone ?

Molemot,

I sit at the feet of the Master as a Seeker After Enlightenment ! (Truly, YLSNED).

I remember, some years ago, there appeared on the market a device consisting of a string bag containing a number of tin (?) alloy "marbles". These you lowered into your tank on a piece of string. They were supposed to act as a sort of catalyst, encouraging better combustion and allowing the use of much lower octane fuel, but without being consumed themselves. They were supposed to give you 10% more mileage and less coke build up.

Verisimilitude was added to this story by the fact (?) that the inventor was said to have been a Merlin fuel chemist during the war, and had gone over to Russia, where they were having trouble with the Spitfires and Hurricanes we'd shipped out to them, on account of the 65 Octane stuff the Soviets had got. Seems he developed this wizard wheeze then; the Merlins were happy with the result. Or so the story went.

A few moment's calculation showed me that, at the price they were, I should be dead before I reached payback stage with them, so I was more intrigued than tempted, but the owner of the garage I then frequented had tried the things in the old, big, petrol BMW he was running and swore by them.

Did you ever hear this tale, and what do you think of it ?

Danny.

EDIT: Anybody ?

Last edited by Danny42C; 12th Jun 2015 at 00:37. Reason: Widen Scope of Enquiry.