PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reports of A400 Crash, Saville, Spain
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 14:51
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
But it wasn't a FADEC system. FADEC systems are certified under engine rules and have their own backup, fail-safe protocols. If a FADEC system had it's data wiped beforehand you wouldn't even have been able to takeoff.
I keep thinking there is still more to this than is being reported. It is a "FADEC" control. For those of you who may not know, on a turboprop, the FADEC will adjust the prop to hold a constant speed, then adjust the turbine to hold the desired output torque (and the FADEC measures the torque on the output shaft directly - at least on the turboprop I worked on many moons ago it measured the shaft twist to determine the output torque).

The linked articles suggest that they have the ability input engine specific torque calibrations - but as a long time engine guy it's inconceivable to me that the FADEC would not have a 'default' torque calibration, and/or set some sort of no-dispatch message (or even prevent the engine from starting) if the engine specific torque calibration was corrupted or "wiped".

We're still not getting the full story.

I've long been skeptical of FADEC systems that decide that an engine should go to idle, or shut down absent pilot input.
At least on the FADEC systems I've worked, the only reason the FADEC will go to idle or shutdown absent pilot input is for:
a sensed unsafe condition (e.g. rotor overspeed), or
failures have made the FADEC incapable of safely controlling the engine.

I know there is still a certain skepticism of FADEC, but the fact is that engine control caused shutdowns and "loss of thrust control" events are roughly an order of magnitude better with FADEC than with the old hydromechanical systems.