PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Secret Unicom Trial at Hervey Bay
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 12:12
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 102 Likes on 59 Posts
As far as I know I was the first person in Australia to provide a UNICOM service, starting from day one of the introduction of the CTAF. I did it in conjunction with my refueling business. I was given strict guidelines, plus I had to apply to add 126.7 to the license for my handheld radio in addition to my discrete frequency of 129.9. It was not a paid for doing it - it was a service I provided because I could see the need for it.
DF.
And, back in the mid `noughties` as a fairly regular visitor to the Airfield indicated in the above quote (on a weekly RPT flight) I can attest to the usefulness and benefit of Desert Flowers service!

We never had any problem with the service DF provided and indeed welcomed it! As, I suspect, did everyone who ever flew into that particular strip when she was the refueller way back then.

Of course, the fact that we provided her with a good supply of Fruitcake slices and Minties may have gained us extra special service!

Betcha miss that, don`t you DF? Hell, I miss the run itself!!