PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa: random medication tests for pilots
Old 11th Jun 2015, 11:00
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lubitz didn't kill all of those people because he was depressed. He did it because he was a psychopath with a personality disorder.
Beagle

I agree with this posting above. Until you can identify what Lubitz suffered with and then eliminate those people from the flight deck it all becomes window dressing for public consumption.

Frankly it is an insult to people who suffer with depression to attach that mantle to a mass premeditated murderer.
A huge USA study on mass murderers found that 8 out of 10 showed NO signs of serious mental illness so going on a witch hunt for pilots who have suffered with depression which most probably have at some point in their lives is a scapegoat!

Ok Lufthansa are trying to give a message to the general public to show that they have done something to restore confidence but this move is doing nothing apart from pushing pilots to quango treatments and alternative medicine.

Putting the focus on depression where the majority would never harm a fly is an insult to those people and that condition.
It is no more accurate than saying people with stomach ulcers become mass murderers so anyone with pain like toothache can be a mass murderer.
identify the people with stomach ulcers and that seems to be a failure of the medical world to specify what was wrong with Lubitz and it certainly wasn't depression that caused him to pre meditate and mass murder all those poor people
it was something far more serious.

Until the medical world can identify exactly what condition Lubitz had? Can identify accurate tests to weed out those personalities this is all a scapegoat for public consumption only and an insult to millions of suffering innocent people who would never hurt a fly only themselves. Don't blanket wrap Lubitz who had a serious personality disorder with depression.

I have nothing against random drug tests on pilots that is a separate discussion and probably sensible. In locating a potential mass murderer where 8 out of 10 have no history of serious mental disorder or treatments drug tests would not locate the 8 out of 10

Last edited by Pace; 11th Jun 2015 at 12:22.