PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yeovilton Air Day
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 10:33
Mick Strigg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I decided it would be nice, before I got too old, to fly my Bulldog into VL for the Open Day - It is not an open day it is a full blown air display open to the general public; the third biggest military air show in the country.

this year and maybe bump into a few of my colleagues from the past. - I doubt it, they too take a hurumph attitude towards the event: "why should I pay when I spent 12 years in the FAA?", well, I'm sorry, but even the families of those serving at VL have to pay to get in!

I applied online for a Visiting Aircraft Clearance and was shocked to find that I was expected to pay £59.40 for landing/parking/Civil User Indemnity as well as VAT. Supposedly these are MOD charges ! - Yes they are. There is a JSP that dictates all charges.

So how is it that I can go to RAF Benson, practice a few ILS/PAR approaches, including sometimes "land off and roll" for about 10 quid ? - Perhaps the Crabs are giving the JSP a damned good ignoring (as per usual)!

On top of that, I was advised that I must apply for an Admission ticket for the Display as well, having even brought in an interesting aircraft. - See paragraph 2 above. Bulldog interesting? It doesn't compare with the A10's and USAF C17 that are coming.

The cost of 3 hours fuel for the return flight and then the rest, .........for 8 hours at VL .... and not even an ex-RN enclosure pass ? - No such thing. Even the Wardroom enclosure has entrance tickets that the serving officers have to pay for.

Sadly I won't be going - You won't be missed, there is a fantastic array of aircraft at this year's Air Day and I for one believe that every penny spent on an entrance ticket is worthwhile.

but am I wrong to be annoyed ? - Yes. We no longer live in a "something for nothing" world and if you cannot afford to come (unlike others that spend hundreds on travel and hotels to be there) then don't bleat about it.