PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another runway at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 08:18
MidlandDeltic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcockayne
I don't agree. I think that the relatively unimportant priorities of the CI & IoM neatly encapsulate exactly what is the actual problem & solution to the argument regarding the London Airport situation, & , if not at Heathrow, then at somewhere else in the South East, that an airport is needed which can provide the service which is required (not just by us) & for it to be able to grow.
For interest, I've just had a look at the Jersey Airport timetable following your comments. It appears the same difficulty arises with Paris, in that flights go to Orly rather than CDG. Are you similarly proposing investment to allow a very small population access to another international hub?

On a general LHR hub point, I personally would never, I repeat NEVER, book domestic UK to anywhere via LHR - and would not book on a BA flight from DUB either - because, quite simply, those rotations are the first to be ditched whe there is a problem of any sort. A third runway will only be a short term solution to this, as the domestic / IRL services are small beer and any slot guarantees will be of short / medium term only (much like the current IAG assurances over Aer Lingus slots - with the sleight of hand that there is no mention of the existing BA operation!). The only way to prevent the current scenario of long haul displacing domestic would be to build a third runway suitable for no larger aircraft than an A321 / 737 with fuel for 500 miles. Otherwise, you will be back to providing a connection point for long haul passengers whose main contribution to the UK economy is buying a meal in the transfer lounge.