PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 06:03
mockingjay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't do it

For those of you over 30 with a wife and kids, I'd say you would have to be off your tree to plough 100,000 in to training, with no job lined up. I was almost 30 when I finally got a job after four years of job hunting. I'm not single but commute within the same country I live in.

If anyone thinks that they can commute to Eastern Europe on a 5-2 pattern then you're living in a fantasy world. You will likely finish on a late and start back on an early. So you finish at 2300 on day 5, you sleep, you then drag yourself out of bed at 0500 ready for the flight out. You'll finally get home about lunch time local. Then 24 hours later, you'll do the same in reverse ready to get back to base ready for that 0600 checking 11 hour four sector day!

If you think you can do this then you must be on crack. Even the rosiest of rose tinted specs can't make this one look. And no partner or kids are going to be happy moving to Godknowswhereovich.

Believe me, I do it, it's not worth it. The job can be fun, but it's very mundane and with most jobs you spend the time wishing for the day to end!

I'd much rather be 100,00-150,000 better off in years to come thinking 'thank god' and not 'what if'. Think long and hard boys. It's not like the glossy brochures or the 'living the dream' brigade you see on social media.

Few more things. It took me two years just get some summer leave and now looking forward to my first Christmas at home for three years!

In busy summers you'll go three weeks without going home. Your days off become recovery days and the last thing you want to do is spend hours commuting home. Don't expect your partner to come visit you either as you can put money on your days off being a Tuesday or Wednesday which of they're a 9-5 simply won't work. And it doesn't get better any time soon.

Think long and hard guys and gals. Don't risk your home or your mortgage for this. It's just a job and nothing more.

Last edited by mockingjay; 11th Jun 2015 at 08:56.