PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Fleet Order Speculation
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2015, 02:33
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
fish

Given the AIPA President's scare mongering.....
Really? You lead with that and then follow it with the rest of your post? Pot? Kettle? Black?

Personally I don't think Nathan has scaremongered at all. I think he's been quite clever at articulating the 'plan' as far as he can without breaching the NDA. The plan is pretty clear. If the plan changes to the extent that the junior crew you speak of are RIN'd to the 787 then the least of their/ our concerns will be the terms and conditions that we are earning. They/ We will be lucky to just have a job.

No one was fussed when current crew were RIN'd on current WD terms and suffered financial detriment- significant for some- yet here is the opportunity to get on planned expansion and suddenly we are concerned about crew being RIN'd and suffering financial detriment?

We are back to YVR. Seasonally at the moment because we don't have the airframes to do it permanently. I suspect when the airframes turn up we'll do it daily. We are back to SFO and there is scope to expand into there from both BNE and MEL with the right aeroplane..... except we don't have it yet. MEL- DFW and perhaps even BNE- DFW also raises the potential of a continuation to JFK. They're talking NZ- USA again and perhaps that may be DFW as well as LAX.....particularly if we do DFW- JFK.

In short, the potential expansion routes the 787 can make a good return on investment is significant. I've no doubt qantas will get them. The question is whether current Qantas pilots operate them on the proposed rates (which seem reasonable and fair to me and still exceed every other Australian operator's costs for similar type aeroplanes) or whether someone else operates them.