PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas back to SFO
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2015, 23:18
V-Jet

Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts
GG: The problem is that once someone gets used to another businesses product they won't change back without serious thought. Look at it this way. EK could probably fly all of QF's passengers to London for free for a year at least and (because they actually have a global network) probably not even really notice the loss in revenue all that much. AA is even worse. If you need ANY convincing look at the words of Tim Clark about how well it worked out for EK being 'gifted' QF's premium Long Haul customers. Strangely enough, young wee-man has been just as quiet about how well QF did out of that exchange as he has about the triumphant success of Jetstar XXX (insert foreign entity there - maybe start with HKG?) and the stellar trajectory of his once favourite chimaera RedQ.

There is one thing I can say for the AA deal over EK. At least the Jewish population of Australia can still fly to the US. Though not, it would seem, JFK on QF.

As an airline CEO, Elaine is a terrific room renovator - by all accounts the lounges are a massive hit and we should all be justly proud of our efforts on that front. The problem is, most of us wanted to work for an airline and not a builder. Most airlines look after the aircraft and routes first, the lounges are a distant tenth. But not QF - where the Chairman of the Board openly admits they only knew about airlines from 1st Class Lounges and the 1st Class cabin.

There is no doubt in my mind the current cadre of 'leaders' at Qf are trying to replicate the business model of a Webjet type operation, because the rest is probably just too hard for them. They focus on airline 'stuff' only as a last resort when every other option has failed them. And their ability to find other options is nothing short of exemplary.

They should have simply developed a better App for the iTunes App Store rather than do their level best to trash a national icon.

I would love to ask each Board Member (just before I choke them) what exactly it is they believe Qantas really does. Because I do not think they actually know. Worse, I don't think they would even give similar answers, which is why there is no single strategy. How many Glorious(ly different) Five Year Plans can one company have? With the same leadership 'team' is still in place!