PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK P8 Poseidon
Thread: UK P8 Poseidon
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2015, 21:54
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Ivan,

I suspect you refer to the NCA/Officer Aircrew sub-plot that has emerged on the Nav thread. Unfortunate - not my debate. The main discussion there and here should be about the MoD's ability to put people in the P-8's seats.

Don't be discouraged.

From the perspective of manning P-8 I would make the same points that I have done on "the other thread". The purchase and delivery of a new platform into the UK inventory will take a dreadfully long time. So the MPA thread doesn't need to give up just yet. Part of the discussion ahead of any announcement and ahead of SDSR will include manning, support, basing, etc, etc.

So, for every airframe the RAF shall require two pilots and five rear crew. No Nav. There is a small cadre of RAF folk in the USA keeping the LRMPA dream alive. 45 Sqn are training a couple of colours of WSOps and the U.S. Training System may well be a part of the deal - the RAF could probably do without having to set up its own OCU. As many have stated here already, there is no LRMPA training school in the UK so kicking off this new platform may well need to tap into the established US system as well as the "seed corn".

The point is, this will be under the microscope and the likely lead time will allow for ramped up manning and training.

I say again, resurrecting the vital UK LRMP capability may well come at a cost to the Forces. The books will need to be sufficiently balanced to include crew training.