PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Basic and Traffic Service
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2015, 17:14
fireflybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the recommendation in the UK too, but there aren't any "remote areas" where most people do most of their flying.
I believe the whole of Scotland and the Moors are considered "difficult for search and rescue".

Stay on the ground......? I wish we could. Unfortunately it's not possible or practical to fly many of our operations in CAS, so it's not unusual for us to be required to fly IMC outside.
Shy Torque, Yes I do realise that - am not that naive! But nevertheless you are making a choice to fly in those conditions. There may be other ramifications of staying on the ground but that is another matter.

Seems like many commenting are expecting some sort of control service with radar outside CAS - something which is an anathema to some airspace users. As stevelup says it's down to funding. Also it's a question of numbers - if a couple of light aircraft collide in Class G and nobody is hurt on the ground the authorities would just put it down to a random event. On the other hand if one aircraft was a large public transport aircraft and several hundred people came to grief I am sure the authorities would be taking some pretty large steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

It's all a matter of risk management - at least in Class G airspace there is a certain amount of random separation with a/c flying different tracks and altitudes and as Shy has stated some a/c have TCAS but of course not all users have transponders.

Last edited by fireflybob; 10th Jun 2015 at 18:15.