PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith awarded AC
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2015, 16:13
RenegadeMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations Dick. You really do deserve your award.

In the mid to late 70s I would go into your store in Parramatta, Sydney and buy all sorts of little electronic components and bits & pieces. I made many of the kits you sold (my parents found it very disturbing coming into my dark bedroom only to be blasted by one of your disco strobe lights. Ha!) and I learnt much about how stuff worked from all that you sold. As a young nerdy teen I'd pour over your catalogue and plan & scheme the next 'amazing' thing I'd build!

Then when I was older I just loved following you on your solo helicopter flight around world (still such an amazing thing to have done and I get a kick out of seeing VH-DIK at the Powerhouse Museum!). And part of my interest in you and your flying inspired me to take up an interest in aviation too and get my fixed wing private licence (had a go in an R22 once but decided it wasn't for me).

I met you once in the early 1980s at the Bathurst 1000 car race. I was there in the main building working for a computer company that managed the scoring system on behalf of Channel 7. I remember seeing your jet ranger sitting out in the middle of the field with the cars screaming past it. You stood there next to Bob Hawke and I stood there next to the both of you as we watched the final stages of the race.

And sometime in the 90s I emailed you to ask for advice about a business issue I was having and you emailed me back with a constructive reply; I really appreciated that!

I remember being amazed at how you started Australian Geographic magazine and then the retail shops. In an interview about it you mentioned how you just rolled up to the proprietor of National Geographic in the U.S. and asked him if he could give you some help to start a magazine in Australia! (and I've used this initiative 'just plain old asking for help' too in my life to good effect).

And I've been a Dick Smith Foods customer on some lines for a while too, even though your products are so badly placed by Coles and Woolworths these days (they're almost hidden).

And that's probably what so many of us admire (even though we don't always agree with all your views) the genuineness and down-to-earth nature. It's true-blue and classically Australian in terms of 'don't hold back' and 'tell it like it is'.

I too think it would be unfortunate for you to head into the political arena. You certainly will get many votes but you'll be treated like you're an ignoramus who's out of touch too. The modern pollie is a media tart (they have to be) and a sophisticated spin doctor that spends 99% of their mental energies tweaking their image/message/platform whilst combating and outmanoeuvering the opposition (who're busy playing the same game). It's oh-so-wearing to watch. I think you'd give it a good run but will you get anywhere in that cesspit of malevolence? Very hard to say and it will certainly cost you your current ease and ability to get coverage (you'll probably get more coverage but the 'rules' on when you'll be consulted or referred to will change forever).

You have a lot of good ideas and a lot of common sense. I'll keep interested; whatever path you take as I'm sure you'll continue to add value.

Congratulations again and all the best for you and your family.